Welcome to my Blog. I suppose I should start with my first Eskie Tail.
Mirage's Story
Mirage is what we decided to name her. Eight months old and full of spunk. I'll never forget how she came to be in our lives. I am a cat person you see. I have always loved Cats and never even dreamed of owning a dog. That is until we met a stray named Snowball and fell in love with the little bugger. Because of Snowball, we decided to save Codie. But that is another tail.
Merlin was my Magic Cat. He could read my mind and emotions and always knew how to make me laugh. I had him for four years when he got sick. I was devastated. Merlin was my first real pet....all mine...no one to tell me no or what to do. I picked him up the day I moved into my very first apartment. I felt like my heart was breaking apart. I loved him so much. He was never sick a day in his life before that day. That terrible fateful day when I heard him crying out in such horrible pain. I rushed him to the vet where I was given the grim news. Crystals had formed in his bladder. They needed to be flushed out and the infection brought under control. The vet even took Merlin home with him and locked his own cats out of the room so that he could keep a close eye on him. He even slept with Merlin on the floor.
That night Merlin had his first seizure. The infection had grown worse and gone to his brain. There was nothing more that could be done. I took Merlin home one last time to hold him and tell him how much I loved him. I begged silently with every supreme being I could think of to save my Merlin...Please...Please don't take my baby.
That night I slept with Merlin on the couch and had a dream. It was not like any other dream I had ever had before. Of Course...there was Merlin at his most handsome. He decided that he had to have a little chat with me and told me it was his time to go. We had quite the conversation. Cats are quite logical you know. When I woke up, he was looking me straight in the eye. I knew it was time. I called the vet and took Merlin in for the last time. I held him in my arms as he breathed his last breath. And my heart crumbled. I cried and cried for days after that.
A few days later my husband took me for a drive. We drove by this pet store that had a pen with a bunch of puppies out front. He asked me if I wanted to stop. I wasn't really interested, but I said ok. I am a cat person you see.
My husband said hello to the puppies out front and I went inside. They had birds and fish and more dogs. I heard a baby kitten crying and when the other way. I was too sad to look at the kittens. I found this back room where there were about six stalls. They were about four feet across and 6 feet deep. Each stall had 10 to 15 puppies of all sizes. They were barking and jumping, all wanted to say hi to me. I pet a couple of them as I walked down the aisle. I am a cat person you see.
Well in the last stall there were about 10 puppies jumping up trying to get my attention and then I noticed all the way in the back corner this little white ball of fluff. Just laying there ignoring the other dogs. About this time the owner came through and threw a large scoop of food into the floor of each stall. The puppies went crazy trying to gobble up all the food and anything else that was lying on the floor. I don't think they had been cleaned in quite some time. During all this the little white ball of fluff just lifted its head and watched. I went to the as far down the aisle as I could to the back of that stall and called out "Hello baby. Aren't you hungry?" These little brown eyes locked on to mine and I gently called for her to come to me. She was very scared and tentative, but slowly walked over to me. I reached down to pet her and the next thing I knew she was in my arms. I never put her back down. I went to find my husband and he said "I thought you were a cat person?"
As I was holding her, tears were just flowing down my face. My heart had started to heal the minute I picked her up. That little white ball of fluff was just too good to be true and so we named her Mirage. We took her home to meet Codie, her new brother, and she has been with us ever since. Merlin will always have a special place in my heart. He took a bit of me with him when he went to the Rainbow Bridge. I still miss him desperately, but My little Raji Muffin has helped fill the void of my empty, aching heart. I am a cat person you see.
The End
A bit of my heart goes with every little white fluff ball that comes through our rescue. I enjoy the work we do and love this breed with a passion. If you are interested in finding out more about us, please visit our website at www.eskiedog.com.
1 comment:
Well dangit, I'm really crying now. I think I need to get off of here and get to the store before I have to redo my makeup.
Post a Comment